Skip to main content

Innovative Self-care Practices: Letting love in....My self-love journey

 Recently, I have felt a positive shift in my life that indicates that I have closed out a chapter in my life that was very challenging, but at the same time brought me a lot of clarity. It's as if the challenges that I have continuously experienced in life, have made me a stronger person in preparation for my new life. I've had a lot of realizations, "A-ha", moments recently that brought me immense understanding about my life. A lot of these experiences were unnecessary hardships, because I have lived an unauthentic life. In reality, most people do unintentionally. Most people live by the rules, belief systems, and conventions forced on you by society or your family. For example, being raised in a particular religion that doesn't match your true self but you conform because that is what you are supposed to do. There is comfort and familiarity in following suit.  So you are forced to wear a false mask and blend into your circumstances and environment like a chameleon. When you don't live your truth, it is difficult for you to be authentic and express your true feelings and needs. This pattern of blending in I am now leaving behind. I recognized that through a process of  brutal self-evaluation and honesty, that my journey to healing my past involved self-love. Being conditioned to live by other people's standards forced me into a box that I did not belong in. My whole life I felt silenced and I found comfort in the wrong people and situations. I lived to accept the things that were not made for me. I did not love my self enough to know that I deserved better. Through self-awareness, exploration, and honesty, I have raised my consciousness and I focus on empathy, understanding and compassion for myself and others. I opened my heart to change and I decided to be vulnerable and let love in.

Love powers all. Learning to love myself and living an authentic life set me free. I speak and live my truth and I've learned all the wonderful benefits of loving myself first. There are so many benefits to truly getting to know who you are and your purpose. Letting love in is self-awareness, acceptance, and care. The way you love yourself defines how you want to be treated and sets the tone for all relationships in your life. You ultimately stand in your power and attract similar people and experiences into your life. Not everyone is WOKE and that is why boundaries are important in life. I will link my past blog post on setting healthy boundaries. My self-love journey has improved my overall health, life, and allows me to love others better. I feel that letting love in has made me a better person all around. There are amazing benefits to letting love in including the following:

*A longer life- There are significant health benefits to letting love in. There are numerous psychological and general health studies that indicate giving and receiving love reduces stress, decreases blood pressure and improves our overall mental and physical well-being. When we have more loving connections and are heart centered, we release a hormone called Oxytocin. Oxytocin is released when we touch someone we care about or when we express love for self or others. The more we release this hormone, the more we are in touch with others, increases our ability to relate to others, and enhances our overall well-being. 

*Motivational- The power of love can shift your perspective and mindset. When you are taking time to nurture and care for yourself, you feel a sense of accomplishment. You begin to feel the benefits of self-love and it makes you want to continue the journey and boosts self-improvement. Healing your heart can set the motion for other areas of improvement like physical health and financial or career goals. Yay!

*Improves relationships- One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do. I've noticed on this journey of self-love, that I have had to release a lot of toxic people and situations that were holding me back. Sometimes you have to release and go into hermit mode to reflect on past pain and regrets; it can be lonely. However, these people I am grateful for because they initiated this journey of self-exploration for me. Sometimes toxic people and situations teach you about your shadow self that needs healing. They highlight the negative aspects about you that need to be addressed and healed. When I began to release burdens and people that were not for my highest good, I began to feel happier. I wanted to explore more ways to feel better about myself and others. Love makes you harmonious and peaceful. I just noticed that I communicated better in my existing relationships and my vibe was higher. Self-love makes you more open to positive people and experiences; more harmonious relationships. 

*Love is contagious!

The power of love connects us to a world of happiness; we just need to tap into this energy with enthusiasm. "Love is as critical for your mind and body as oxygen." (McGrath, Ellen. "The Power of Love." Psychology Today, 1 Dec. 2002).  When we take the time to nourish our soul and explore our true self, we can find our way out of pain, insecurities and unhappiness into a life of abundance. This self-love journey is not easy and takes dedication and support from others. I encourage therapy and professional support because everyone has a different life experience and or trauma. Self-love is the center of healing which makes sense because our heart is the core of our existence. We cannot survive without the beating of our heart so its best to take care of it so we can keep the primal human instinct alive and healthy. Care bear stare ya all. 

The Victim Assistant- Peace, Love, and Happiness

Resources:

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/30-ways-practice-self-love-and-good-yourself.html

https://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/tools-resources/index.htm

Remember to subscribe and share my podcast 🎧The Victim Assistant 

https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-victim-assistant

Boundaries http://pandatheadvocate.blogspot.com/2021/04/innovative-self-care-practices-building.html

Visit it my social media:

Twitter: @victimadvocate1 

https://instagram.com/thevictimassistant?r=nametag


YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsYj6BivD3_D79wph4VwbrA





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January is Stalking Awareness Month!

January is a time for new beginnings and a fresh start; however, many victims that endure the horrors of stalking do not find life so easy. According to the Centers for Disease Control, 7.5 million U.S. adults are stalked in one year. For this reason, more awareness needs to happen. The National Stalking Awareness Website can provide education and resources to help. You can also join the campaign to end stalking by tweeting or posting a message of hope or a stalking fact! Please visit  http://stalkingawarenessmonth.org/about

The truth about hookup culture ;)

  As of 2022, The Pew Research Center found 30% of U.S. adults are neither married, living with a partner, nor engaged in a committed relationship. Additionally, 1/2 of young adults inthe U.S. are single. What the?! Why be in a relationship when you can, “hookup” with no expectations.Let's talk about hookup culture! What is hookup culture? Is this a healthy dynamic? Why is hookup culture popular in today's society? Are there negative effects engaging in this behavior; Does this behavior negatively impact women? My original intention was to answer these questions, in an effort to talk about hookup culture as part of a series of educational videos/posts during Domestic Violence Awareness month to raise awareness about healthy relationships but, time ran out. However, we can still have an honest discussion  and continue the conversations about our current relationship climate that will help us understand the current trend of , "hooking up." I decided to talk about this t

Tools to prevent crime. Don't become a victim...be informed!

Visit the  National Crime Prevention Council's website at  www.ncpc.org  to learn prevention tools. You can also learn about the newest prevention campaigns addressing education on ID theft, crimes against seniors, promoting safer communities, and sign up to receive updates on the latest consumer scams. You are your biggest protection from criminals! Educate yourself and be aware! In addition, learn how to reduce the risk of sexual violence by obtaining information and resources at  www.nsvrc.org . The National Sexual Violence Resource Center is a great tool for advocates looking for online training and support.